Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Wheel of Time MUD

Wheel of Time MUD (or wotmud for short) is based (and endorsed) by the author of the series himself, Robert Jordan!

I spent a few days on Wheel of Time mud and met some great people! I will say this though, wotmud is very reliant on statting (that is the act of getting the "perfect" stats prior to actually becoming fully immersed in the game). Sadly I never got good enough stats the 5 days I played, and so I retired. Hard work and persistence will pay off in the end if you possess those qualities (Regrettably, I do not).

One other issue I ran into is that it is suggested you start out as a Warrior then create a Hunter, so on and so forth with the most interesting class being the final class to create. I thought that a bit silly. I wanted to be an Aes Sedai (that is a sorceress for those unfamiliar with the book series) but was told I should play the game a full year or so before doing this because it'd be "too hard." I decided to follow the guidelines.

The skill progression made sense to me. You gained new skills by spending points at a trainer when you levelled up. That's pretty basic but wotmud caters to customization!  Did you find a new mace you enjoy? Go train up in clubs and get to smackin some fools around. Maybe you enjoy riding horses about? Go train some riding and grab yerself a mare.

Now for those of us who are fans of the book series, you are in for a special treat! The characters from the books are dotted about the world. In Caemlyn go look for the Queen's Blessing and you'll see a friendly face we all know and love. I would practically be jumping for joy when I saw someone I recognized (like good ole Cenn Buie, or even Tam Al'Thor). It was those little surprises that fascinated me the most. I simply was not expecting to see that many NPC's from the books for some reason.

As for the combat system, I had no abilities aside from auto attack so I cannot speak too much on this. It was pretty basic in the beginning levels, this much is certain.

As far as RP went, the people were great! I ran into a couple of Seanchan invaders my first day who were invading Andor and the Queen's Guards were called to defense! It was honestly well played.

If you get a chance to try out this game, I suggest it! It did not work out for me, but the large player base that it does have speaks volumes for the game itself.

One final thing! For those of us who use zMud or cMud, there is a nearly complete map of the world available for the public to download! This made my life a whole heck of a lot easier when getting acclimated to the game.

Oh! Did I mention it was free-to-play? Read more about the game at WoTMud!

No comments:

Post a Comment